Close this search box.
Cart 0
Kerry FC v Treaty Utd

Match Report – Kerry FC v Treaty Utd



Kerry FC finished up the Bank Holiday weekend with a game against Treaty United at home in Mounthawk Park. The last time the two faced each other in Tralee it was for the Munster Senior Cup Semi-Final win that sealed Kerry FC’s place in the final on the twenty-first of June in Turners Cross. Goals from Sean McGrath, Daniel Okwute and Ronan Teahan on the night were enough for Kerry FC to get over the line. Treaty United did win their last visit to Tralee in the league by just one goal by  Yousef Mahdy on the hour mark. Ryan Kelliher unfortunately missed a last kick penalty to grab a point, but Treaty came away with all three. 

Since then, they have gone from the top of the league table to eight as they have only won one in their previous seventeen games. Their win came just last week at home to Longford Town and hoped that the spin down to the Kingdom could start a much-needed run of form for them. Kerry FC First Team Head Coach Conor McCarthy made only one change from the side which lost to Cobh last Friday night with Ronan Teahan coming in for Daire McCarthy.

First Half
The game started with Kerry FC on the front foot with Daniel Okwute’s effort from outside the area going over the crossbar just by a few centimetres after just four minutes. Kennedy Amechi was struggling from early on as he was limping in the minutes that followed the early chance and was looking to go off prematurely. That however did not stop him from getting the home side in the lead after just eight minutes on the clock. It was great intricate passing down the right wing that was followed up by a lovely flick into the box by Ryan Kelliher to the feet of Amechi who made no mistakes in slotting the ball into the bottom corner before being replaced by Daire McCarthy shortly thereafter.

Treaty nearly equalised with ten minutes to play in the half as a huge goal line scramble was eventually dealt with by Antonio Tuta. There were shouts for a foul on the Croatian during the play but thankfully he got down well to claim the loose ball in the end.

Kerry had another couple of chances to extend their lead before the break. Ethan Kos got on the end of a Sean O’Connell free kick, but his header was caught well by Corey Chambers. Ryan Kelliher then hit the post a few minutes later as he got on the end of a low cross into the area from Kevin Williams. Kelliher met the ball at the near post and hit the post before going across the goal line and then being dealt with by the Treaty defenders. Agonisingly close to the second goal that would have been a great time to score and double the lead on the stroke of half time.

Kerry FC were by far the better team of the half but many times we have thought that and chances went begging to cost the team the points in the long term. With the side leading at the break people hoped they would come back out in the second half with the same intensity as they left the first half with.

Second Half
Kerry did just that as they made it 2-0 nine minutes after the break. Valerii Dolia and Ronan Teahan linked up on the left wing before Teahan crossed the ball into the area only for Evan O’Connor to turn the ball into his own net. Unfortunate for the Treaty defender but it is a slice of luck that the Kerry FC team and fans were delighted with to double their lead.

Kerry had another couple of chances in quick succession eight minutes after the goal with Valerii Dolia shooting from distance. His shot bounced just in front of Chambers to make it harder for the keeper, but he managed to push it away and out for a corner. Nathan Gleeson then had a shot from a tight angle after shrugging off his marker but again Chambers was on hand to keep out the danger.

Enda Curran came on and was in on the action straight away as he forced Antonio Tuta into a brilliant save with his foot. The ball looked like it could creep into the bottom left corner, but Tuta was there again to make a fantastic save.

With fifteen minutes to play Treaty had a route back into the game as they won a penalty when Ronan Teahan tripped Lee Devitt. Enda Curran stepped up and slotted the spot kick away calmly despite the best efforts from the Kerry FC supporters behind the goal. With that much time left at the end of the game, it was the perfect opportunity for Treaty to get something for their travels.

Their hopes swiftly faded away as Curran was given a straight red card for an off-the-ball incident with Ethan Kos as the American was left holding his face on the deck. A silly red card for the Treaty United main man who made the task for his side much harder with his absence for the closing stage.

The game went on from there and the seven minutes of added time came and went with Kerry FC holding on to win and claim back-to-back home league wins for the first time in their short history. With 3 points in the bag, the kingdom now head for Belfield to take on the students of UCD AFC on Friday night next.

Kerry FC Team: 1. Antonio Tuta, 15. Kevin Williams, 6. Ethan Kos, 5. Andy Spain (C), 3. Sean O’Connell, 8. Ronan Teahan, 7. Sean McGrath, 12. Kennedy Amechi (Goal ‘8), 10. Valerii Dolia, 9. Ryan Kelliher, 11. Daniel Okwute.

Subs: Aaron O’Sullivan, Samuel Aladesanusi, Graham O’Reilly, Nathan Gleeson, Togor Silong, Victor Udeze, Daire McCarthy, Cian Brosnan, Evison Rramani.

Treaty United Team: 1. Corey Chambers, 5. Lee Devitt, 7. William Armshaw, 8. Colin Conroy, 11. Stephen Cristopher, 17. Scott Kirkland, 20. Evan O’Connor (Own Goal ‘53), 25. Mark Walsh (C), 27. Robbie Lynch, 28. Leon Kirrane, 29. Mark Byrne

Subs: Michael Dike, Nikodem Kozlowski, Adam O’Halloran, Enda Curran (Goal Pen ‘73) (Red Card ‘88), Conor Carew, Richkov Boevi, Mark Murphy, Sean Costelloe.