Close this search box.
Cart 0
Kerry FC v Treaty Utd, March 1 2024

Match Report – Kerry FC v Treaty Utd




Kerry FC were back for the second of the three-home game stretch as they took on Treaty United for the first of two games in just four days. First, it was to take on Treaty in League action before the highly anticipated Munster Senior Cup semi-final on Monday evening. Treaty United manager Tommy Barrett mentioned after the game last Friday against UCD that his side’s bread and butter is the League whilst he would give younger squad members a run out on Monday.

First Team Coach James Sugrue said his side would take each game as it comes and likes the advantage that Kerry FC’s younger side has a quicker recovery time so we could very well see the same side that played on Friday also play the cup game on Monday. Kerry FC were very unlucky not to pick up their first points of the season on Friday last in a 3-2 defeat to Bray Wanderers in Mounthawk Park. A lot of the mistakes that cost the side last season crept in last week and the home faithful hoped coming into the Treaty game that those problems were ironed out before a tough test against the First division leaders.

Treaty United are two wins from two, beating UCD last weekend away from home and getting a convincing win in the Markets Field two weeks ago against Cobh Ramblers on the opening night. Treaty United brought a fantastic atmosphere from Limerick and was shown in the preliminary stages before kick-off.

First Half:
The game started very evenly with Treaty United nearly getting a very quick lead through Colin Conroy. Treaty went long from the kick-off and a headed one-two between Thomas Considine and Conroy gave the number eight a chance on goal, but his shot was saved fantastically by Antonio Tuta.

Enda Curran came close again from a free kick that had a lot of whip on it from about twenty-five yards out from goal but again Tuta was there to save Kerry from trailing inside the first twenty minutes.

Although the possession statistics were even, it was the visitors with the most shots on goal early on with Lee Devitt dragging a shot wide of the far post after sailing through on goal. Kerry were being left off the hook early on but remained in contention for the game.

Sean McGrath had Kerry’s first big opportunity of the game as he did very well to make space for himself inside the area in a very well-worked move but Treaty United keeper Corey Chambers got a strong leg on the effort and kept Kerry at bay from taking the lead.

It was towards the end of the first half like last week that Kerry created most of their chances in the first forty-five. First Kennedy Amechi had a couple of bites at the cherry with his second effort which had him off balance and went over the bar. Just three minutes later Daniel Okwute found himself inside the box and twelve yards out but unfortunately, his shot rattled off the frame of the goal. Kennedy Amechi had another half chance on the stroke of half-time but his half-volleyed shot at goal sailed well wide of Chambers’s left-hand post ending the first half in a statement. A very entertaining half of football with a lot of promising signs that Kerry could get something from the game.

Second Half:
Daniel Okwute, who was fantastic on the night and a constant threat almost put Kerry ahead just after the restart. Sean McGrath got down the by-line with a burst of pace and squared the ball into a threatening area which Okwute got onto but a block from Oisin O’Reilly stopped the momentum, and Chambers easily gathered the ball.

Andy Spain, the former Treaty United player almost put Kerry ahead when Steven Healy’s corner met him in a dangerous position, but his header was straight at Chambers.

Despite Kerry finishing the first and starting the second half the better team, it was the league leaders Treaty United that struck ahead first. A bit of a scramble to clear the ball away from an initial Antonio Tuta save came back into the six-yard box off the crossbar at the second effort. When that did not go over the line, half-time substitute Yousef Mahdy made sure on the third try and put Treaty 1-0 in front.

Kerry kept their heads up and kept plugging away to salvage something from the game. Ryan Kelliher had the ball in the back of the net, but it was ruled out for offside.

Corey Chambers had to make way for Micheal Dike in goal as he was feeling cramp towards the final ten minutes of the game. And the substitute goalkeeper had a tough test on his hands to keep this Kerry side from finding the back of the net. Late appeals for a handball were ruled out from Robert Dowling and Kerry were throwing everything at the Treaty defence to find a late equaliser.

Sean McGrath found Daniel Okwute in the area in the game’s last moments. Okwute got around Micheal Dike and was taken down. The appeals were loud, and Robert Dowling had no choice but to point to the spot. Ryan Kelliher stepped up to take it and unfortunately put the spot kick over the crossbar which was the last action of the game as the final whistle sounded.

It was a very tough way for the game to finish. Ryan Kelliher was fantastic all game and did his part in the attack to win the penalty, but football can be a cruel game and Kerry unfortunately could not get what they deserved from the match. Every player on the pitch should be proud of the performance they put in against a Treaty United side who are now three for three in the league this season.

Kerry play Treaty again on Monday in the Munster Senior Cup semi-final at home in Mounthawk and the lads will relish the opportunity to get what their performance on Friday night deserved.

Kerry FC Team: 1. Antonio Tuta, 15, Kevin Williams, 18. Sam Aladesanusi, 5. Andy Spain (C), 3. Sean O’Connell, 21. Daire McCarthy, 15. Steven Healy, 7. Sean McGrath, 12. Kennedy Amechi, 11. Daniel Okwute, 9. Ryan Kelliher.

Subs: Darragh Foley, Rob Vasiu, Finn Barrett, Ethan Kos, Ronan Teahan, Cian Brosnan, Victor Udeze, Ferdia O’Brien, Edison Rramani.

Treaty United Team: 1. Corey Chambers, 2. Ben O’Riordan, Oisin O’Reilly, 5. Lee Devitt, 7. William Armshaw, 8. Colin Conroy, 10. Thomas Considine, 11. Stephen Christopher, 17. Scott Kirkland, 19. Enda Curran, Mark Walsh (C).

Subs: Michael Dike, Yousef Mahdy (Goal ’61), Alec Byrne, David Tarmey, Evan O’Connor, Conor Carew, Fionn Doherty, Mark Byrne, Mark Murphy.